Tuesday 14 January 2014

FMQ Starter

Recently I bought Christina's book 'First Steps to Free Motion Quilting' - which is an excellent book: it is well written, the projects are simple yet useful, and its substantial enough to be a useful resource in the future when I'm not an absolute beginner.

Practicing - this was fun once I sorted out some tension issues
Scrap batting sewn together with zigzag stitch

I made a pile of practice pads using scrap batting strips sewn together, and used scrap strips leftover from trimming a quilt back - so these practice pads are project 22 of Scraps 101.



I have managed to do one of the projects from the book - these little fabric bowls which my girls love playing with.  One of the bowls has scrappy binding, they both use scraps bits of batting sewn together like my practice pads above, so these two bowls are project 23 of Scraps 101.  Expect to see more FMQ around these ways in the future!


Linking up to:
Sew Cute Tuesday at Blossom Heart Quilts
I Quilt at Pretty Bobbins 

6 comments:

  1. thanks for the review. I have had my eye on this book as I really want to learn FMQ this year. Would it be good for an absolute beginner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I am an absolute beginner, in my opinion it is very well written, and would definitely recommend it.

      Delete
  2. I'm so scared to try FMQ, but those little baskets look doable. I might dip my toe in the water with them :-) Thanks for the inspiration.
    E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh. I really must try this. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess that does it...I simply must order that book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion it is very well written, and I would definitely recommend it. Some people may benefit from a class-type learning environment, but I have found the book has given me all I need at this stage. Good luck!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...