Thursday 20 October 2011

Decisions, decisions ...

Who ever knew there were so many decisions to make when making a quilt?  Not me.  I want to make a quilt for Ruby when she moves to a big girl bed, and  thought I'd get some practice in on something a little smaller.  For Ruby's one I'm thinking red, and I love love love Hazelnuts red quilt, and the Red Pepper quilts one she got her inspiration from.

For this practice one I'm going vintage - using up some of my vintage linen stash.  I'm trying to decide how to lay it out and which fabrics to include.  I'm going basic with some big squares and some rectangles, and will quilt 'stitch in the ditch' style.  I think I have discovered that it's easier to combine fabrics when the pieces you're working with are small, which mine are not.  I was going to follow Flossie Teacakes tutorial to the letter but was too impatient to sew together all those rectangles so opted for squares instead with a few rectangles thrown in.

Here is my first layout:
Then I decided I didn't like the overly pink one in there (top left corner), so took it out.  What do you think?
 Our very kind cat helped mix it all up.
Now I need to decide on the batting, the backing and the binding.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I have about 2 other quilts I need to do before I can start playing with my sheets, but I'm really looking forward to it and have been pinning inspirational vintage quilts like mad. Can't wait to see yours all sewn up! I agree on keeping the design simple though, vintage sheets are busy enough on their own :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...